Japanese Characters of Isshinryu

About Our Dojo

The Orange City dojo (a Honbu dojo) was first opened in 1983, by Grandmaster Chester Holubecki, a 9th Degree Black Belt, when he moved to Orange City from his home in Massachusetts.

When Master Holubecki returned to Massachusetts in 1996, the dojo was operated at two other locations before being reopened at 1900 North Volusia Avenue, as a “Black Belt only” dojo by local attorney, Sensei John B. Crowther, in July 1998, through the generosity of Ms. Mary Parker Sizemore, herself an Isshinryu Black Belt.

In January 1999, the dojo was converted into a “full enrollment” dojo, where both Black Belts
and Color Belts can train. Through the efforts of Sensei and Mrs. Crowther, the students, and many
contributors and volunteers, the dojo moved to its present location at 120 May Street, on January 15, 2008.

The dojo is affiliated with the Isshinryu Network, an association of Isshinryu dojos located through
out the United States. Each year students from the dojo travel to various Championships to
participate as competitors, judges and referees. The dojo sponsored the American Okinawan
Karate Association World Championships when they were held in Daytpna Beach in July 1995.

The dojo was honored in 1999, when two of its members were inducted into the A.O.K.A. Hall of Fame at the 25th Annual World Champion ships held in Philadelphia.  Sensei Crowther was inducted as Outstanding Male Black Belt, and Mr. Howard Savage was inducted as Out standing Male Student.  In 2003, the dojo was
again honored when Mr. Steven Hyde was inducted as Outstanding Male Youth Black Belt.

In 2008, six of our students won twelve awards at the Hall of Fame Tournament held in Gatlinburg, TN, including a first place trophy in kumite and three first place trophies in hand kata.